Regional Research Centre
A cornerstone of the University's research plan is the establishment of a Regional Research Centre. The aim of this regional centre is to provide a focus for research topics which have the potential to contribute to the further development of Kurdistan as a thriving economic, industrial and cultural community, with links to other countries. Central to this concept is the close collaboration with the Kurdistan Regional Government and the key industries, businesses and non-government agencies in the Kurdistan region. The centre will also bring together the elements within the dual portfolio of the relevant Pro Vice-Chancellor, and will therefore focus on both research and enterprise activities.
Areas of Focus
The areas of focus of the Centre will be determined more precisely through the workings of the Committees, and will take account of the resources which are available, or which may be sought over time.
Research at UKH is focused on generating knowledge that will advance and inform policy and decision makers in the Kurdistan region. Hence, research at UKH focuses on and engages in promoting and supporting sustainable development and responding to market needs in the region and beyond.
Areas of focus may be grouped broadly into several themes including Business and Management Sciences, Political Sciences and International Relations, Computer Science and Engineering, and Natural Resource Engineering and Management (Oil, gas, water and minerals) , management and economics as well as Studies of the cultures, political aspects of Kurdistan, international relations.
The Geoinformatics Institute for Future Threats to Sustainability (G.I.F.T.S)
- GIFTS was founded at the University of Kurdistan Hewler to raise the profile of, conduct research in, and provide advice on, investigating, mapping, monitoring and managing processes and issues impacting Sustainable Development in Kurdistan and the wider region.
- GIFTS is committed to informed decision making, contributing to the next phase of economic and social development and in influencing future development choices for the future of Kurdistan and the wider region.
- Staff at GIFTS have a multi-disciplinary, international working experience and track records through working in Arid/Semi Arid (Iraq, Tunisia, Morocco, and Jordan), Temporal (UK) and Tropical environments (Malaysia, the Caribbean region, Indonesia and Australia).
- Supporting and promoting Sustainable Development and Sensible Environmental and Natural Resource Management.
- To evaluate the current state of the environment in Kurdistan by collecting, analyzing, managing and disseminating geo-based information.
- Proposing a range of operational measures and solutions which may be used to achieve Sustainable Development.
- Providing a framework for promoting research excellence, consultancy and outreach activities in Geoinformatics, Sustainable Development and Environmental Geo-based solutions.
- To contribute to the UKH's academic and research programs to manage sustainable futures in Kurdistan and the wider region.
- Advance multidisciplinary research and development in Geoinformatics and geo-based sciences in general and in new relevant technologies such as remote sensing and GIS in particular.
- Provide the infrastructure to foster interdisciplinary research in Geoinformatics, Sustainable Development and Environmental Geo-based solutions.
- Assist with expanding and strengthening Geoinformatics, Environmental and Geo-spatial research, consultancy and outreach at all levels.
- Foster capacity building and encourage the dissemination of research findings
- Actively involve the organization of local, national and international conferences
- Strengthen environmental and geo-spatial education and ensure scientific and technological solutions are brought to bear on problems
For further information please follow this link